Sausage & Egg Breakfast Casserole

Sausage & Egg Breakfast Casserole

Egg Crescent Casserole | www.lemon-sugar.com

  • The list of things I’ve heard approximately nine billion times today includes:  ”I’m bored.  I’m hungry.  Can we have hot chocolate now?  Can we go outside yet?  Where’s Daddy? Can we put our princess stickers on our wall yet?  Can I go to Jordan’s house tomorrow? Can I have a treat?  Will you paint my fingernails? Where are my tap shoes?”
  • Welcome to my snow day.
  • We got about ten inches of snow today, which means my boss was kind enough to allow us to skip the commute and work from home.  My husband was home sick, my oldest daughter was sick yesterday evening, so I spent the day working and mommy-ing and wishing I was on a warm beach for just a few blessed minutes.
  • Snow days were so much more awesome when we were kids.

Egg Crescent Casserole | www.lemon-sugar.com


  • Luckily, I had all of the ingredients to whip up this quick and easy breakfast.  It takes just a few minutes and the girls love it.  In fact, they ate it for both breakfast and lunch today, which made my day just a little bit easier.  My youngest (the princess sticker-treat seeker-tap shoe daughter) loves to dip hers in salsa.  My oldest (hot chocolate-Jordan’s house-fingernail painting daughter) likes to dip hers in a bit of sour cream.
  • Those girls…they both talk, a lot.  In fact, I’m pretty sure that my only quiet moments today came while they were eating egg casserole.
  • Don’t get me wrong, I love the chatter.  Almost always.  But today, a few minutes of peaceful coffee-drinking and watching the snow would’ve been appreciated.
  • Somedays, there isn’t enough egg casserole.

Egg Crescent Casserole | www.lemon-sugar.com


  • This recipe is somewhat flat, almost frittata-like. The casserole sits on a base of crescent rolls, almost like a breakfast pizza, and the sausage and cheese hold it all together.  Today I used pepperjack cheese, but I usually use cheddar or monterrey jack.  I’ve used bacon instead of sausage before, too – just do what you like, you can’t really mess this up.
  • We always save the extras and keep them in the refrigerator for a few days – this makes a great on-the-go breakfast.
  • For those of you who got the snow storm today, stay safe and warm!  And for those of you who live on the beach – can I come visit?   I’ll bring egg casserole…
  • Hope you love it.  Enjoy!


INGREDIENTS
1/2 po.und breakfast sausage
1 package crescent rolls
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
5 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon oregano or fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Lightly spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
  3. In a heavy skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat, and use a wooden spoon to break into small crumbles. Drain grease, and set aside.
  4. Unroll the crescent rolls and place in the bottom of a 9×13 pan, pressing the seams together to make one large sheet of dough. Use your fingers to press the dough just slightly up the sides of the pan as well.
  5. Liberally the sausage over the dough.
  6. Grate your cheese, and sprinkle on top of the sausage.
  7. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs,milk, oregano or rosemary, salt, and pepper.
  8. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the casserole.
  9. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden and the eggs are set.
  10. Garnish with additional rosemary and pepper, if desired.
  11. Enjoy!




Taken from :
Blogger Template by Clairvo