5 Foods That Aren't As Healthy As You Probably Think

  'm sure many of you remember the diet fads of the late 90's. It was all about eliminating as much fat as possible, and I cringe when I think about how I survived on white pasta with a little Parmesan for many meals, and loaded up on fat-free Snackwell's cookies and gummy peaches for midday fuel. Hey, they were all fat-free so I felt good about my choices. Today, of course, the prevailing advice leans away from sugar and is kinder to fat. Personally, I feel that high-sugar snacks and white pasta alone aren't the smartest diet moves. But still, there are a few foods lurking on grocery store shelves that may still be fooling us with their reputation of purported health. Katherine Tallmade, registered dietician and author, recently wrote a piece for The Washington Post on foods that trick us into thinking they're "healthy." Now, we all of course have a different idea and set of choices on what is "healthy" for us personally, so I'm curious what your perspective might be on each of these points.
                  2013_02_24-peanutbutter.jpg
Personally, while I think there's a lot of wiggle room with each of her points, she does raise awareness about reading food labels and paying close attention to what's actually in the packaged foods we buy. That's always a good thing. I can't say that I'll be giving up energy bars anytime soon, but here are Tallmadge's tips for being smarter and more-informed about your choices next time you're at the grocery store:

by
http://www.thekitchn.com
Blogger Template by Clairvo