Yarpag Khengeli (Azerbaijani Pasta with Meat and Yogurt Topping)

azerbaijani pasta (8 of 8)
Yarpag Khengeli is the first dish I have ever made (or eaten) from Azerbaijan! Pasta dough is hand rolled and cut into square or diamond shapes. It is boiled, then served with lamb or beef and yogurt seasoned with garlic. Chad says the garlic yogurt is an acquired taste, but Evan and I loved it. When serving, place the garlic yogurt in a dish on the side to allow others to add as much as they want to taste. Just don’t skip it! The yogurt sauce definitely makes the dish come together.

azerbaijani pasta

Make sure you have a large work surface to roll out the pasta. I nearly ran out of room on my small counter. Next time, I will use the dining table.
As I was finding information on specifically which continent houses Azerbaijan, I found out they are often associated with Europe and Asia. Azerbaijan is culturally and linguistically closer to Europe, but geographically closer to Asia. Whenever I post recipes from Azerbaijan, Armenia, or Georgia, I will place them under the Asian and European recipe indexes.
azerbaijani pasta (7 of 8)
Ingredients
Pasta:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup water
Meat:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 pound ground lamb or beef
1 medium onion (about 1 cup), finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Topping:
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 garlic clove
1- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt


source
http://www.tarasmulticulturaltable.com
Blogger Template by Clairvo