Secret Recipe Club: Pumpkin Spice Muffins



I loved learning more about the woman behind "Burnt Apple" - loved the inspiration for the name of the blog! :) I think it is a fantastic site - all about real life. Trying to balance good eating with the health of herself and her family, and of course the occasional yummy splurge!

I opted for the fantastic Pumpkin Spice Muffins! I have to be milk-free at the moment due to a milk protein allergy our baby girl is dealing with, so no cow's milk for this lactating mama! This recipe sounded perfect for the fall weather and would allow me to enjoy them as well since they met the "milk free" requirement. My son and I both really enjoyed these - like little pumpkin bread morsels in muffin sized treats! Tender, lightly flavored, and the light crunch and sweetness from the brown sugar on top was a really nice addition! I think I may have added more flour then was originally called for (the measuring cup I was using is not exactly the best!!) so my batter was very thick, and these had a pretty dense texture and didn't look quite like the ones at Burnt Apple - but regardless, they were great muffins and perfect for a fall time snack, breakfast, or dessert! They're great warm or cool, and I'm sure you could wrap and freeze them and pull them out as needed. I used Stevia in place of sugar, but I would probably need sugar next time since in this particular recipe the Stevia left an aftertaste that I noticed. It was probably the quantity - I might do half and half sugar / Stevia next time.


Ingredients

3/4 cup whole wheat white flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup solid-pack pumpkin puree
1/2 cup applesauce
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar (I used Stevia)
Brown Sugar, Cinnamon

source
http://rebekahrose.blogspot.com
Blogger Template by Clairvo