Final Glazed Bourbon Nut Cake

                                                       Final Glazed Bourbon Nut Cake


  • I’m sure many people approach this one day of year with the license to over-indulge.  Whereas one piece of pie would normally be substantial, on Thanksgiving we push the limits and tend to sample away.  I mean, how could I only have one slice of pumpkin pie when my Grandma also made Pecan and Chocolate Pies too?
  • For Thanksgiving 2012, I’m test running two of Mom’s recipes found tucked away in her attic just weeks ago- entire folder of yellowed, crumpled sheets of paper overflowed with handwritten recipes from 1970!  As luck would have it, many of the recipes would be ideal seasonal dishes for a Thanksgiving table but, having a sweet craving, I selected two to experiment:  Bourbon Nut Cake and Pumpkin Pudding.
  • Mom’s Bourbon Nut Cake recipe signifies fall.
  • Some prominent ingredients are nutmeg, chopped walnuts, and even Bourbon.  I also love the fact the batter is so basic – a merger between yellow cake mix and instant pudding mix.  The glaze looked especially tasty combining sugar and (more) Bourbon and milk.
  • I also used two teaspoonfuls of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! as it’s very easy to scoop, measure and mix with the other ingredients  for the glaze.   And, it’s all made in a Bundt pan.  I almost never bake with a Bundt pan.  Most of my baked desserts come fresh from a 9×13” Pyrex dish.  A Bundt pan!  How exciting.

Ingredients:
Batter:
  • 2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts  (I used Walnuts)
  • 1 box Duncan Hines Yellow Deluxe Cake Mix
  • 1 box Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding
  • ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
  • 4 large eggs
  • ½ cup Bourbon
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ cup oil
Glaze:
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Grease a bundt pan and sprinkle ½ cup of nuts over the bottom, coating the bottom.
  3. Beat remaining ingredients, except nuts, on medium.
  4. Turn mixer to high and beat 2 more minutes until thick.  Add nuts and mix again.
  5. Bake about 1 hour until toothpick comes out clean.
  6. Cool 10 minutes and then invert to cool.
source
http://www.myjudythefoodie.com
Blogger Template by Clairvo