Hottokēki (Japanese Hot Cake)

japanese hotcakes (1 of 3)


  • The eggs are beaten with a mixer, hand or stand, until foamy to help create this fluffy texture. Hot cakes are a popular breakfast treat in Japan and often prepared using a packaged hot cake mix. No need for a hot cake mix here. They are actually quite easy to make! They are also versatile, with a variety of toppings to choose from based on your tastes and what you may have in your refrigerator. I had an extra container of blackberries from my CSA box, so I topped my hot cakes with whipped cream and fresh blackberries. I added a few blackberries to a small pot and cooked over medium heat to create a sauce. Maple syrup and butter are also popular toppings. For a more decadent breakfast, I may include a dollop of vanilla custard next time.

japanese hotcakes (3 of 3)


  • I keep the temperature on my stove around medium low to make the hot cakes, but this can vary based on the stove and type of pan. You want each side golden, but you don’t want them to brown before the interior gets a chance to cook. Adjust between medium low and medium as needed


japanese hotcakes (2 of 3)

Ingredients
2 large eggs
200 milliliters (3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200 grams (~1 2/3 cups) all purpose flour
8 grams (1 3/4 teaspoons) baking powder

40 grams (3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) granulated sugar
source
http://www.tarasmulticulturaltable.com
Blogger Template by Clairvo