Blueberry Pie

4th of July Blueberry Pie | Betsylife.com

The women in my life never put much emphasis on cooking. There was always a hot meal on the table, but my mom and grandma’s energies were always directed more towards outdoor activities. It was a great way to grow up as a girl, but we’re sorely lacking in the “family recipe” area. I never thought much of this until I married The Hubs who is from the deep south and has a mother who is bursting with classic, hand me down, foolproof recipes that she can make from memory. It’s one of the most impressive and fascinating things for me to witness.
As I hope to learn all of my mother in law’s family recipes one day, I already have the one tried and true one memorized from my side of the family. Blueberry pie.
4th of July Blueberry Pie | Betsylife.com
Here’s a little secret though, even the best blueberry pie can stand some adjusting occasionally. For this particular pie, I switched out the lemon juice and zest that my classic recipe calls for with grapefruit zest and juice. What?!?!? I know, I’m so crazy sometimes, but I had a grapefruit in my CSA box so I thought, “why the heck not?” It gave this pie an awesome tanginess that no one could exactly put their finger on.

source
Blogger Template by Clairvo