POTATO LATKES



Like an archeologist discovering a lost treasure, I carefully unraveled the remaining blue and white candles from last year as well as the two little dreidels we’ve used since my kids were preschoolers.
While I like to say Hanukah is my kids’ favorite Jewish holiday, I’ve never really admitted it’s mine too.
I truly enjoy turning out the lights after dinner to light the candles of the menorah and to sing the festive holiday songs.  Not surprisingly, my kids adore the holiday for the gift-giving.  We aspire to give a little gift every night.
Some latke recipes might have you lightly brown the potato pancakes in the skillet and then transfer them to the oven for a couple minutes of baking to achieve a nice fluffy center.
Potatoes pancakes cooking on the skillet
My latkes were crispy and somewhat flattened—exactly how I remembered eating them as a kid.
Lastly, make sure you place your newly-cooked latkes on a paper towel with which you’ll pat out all the grease.  While the oil is necessary to get your potatoes properly fried on the outside, if they’re too greasy, guaranteed you won’t even get through one whole pancake.
Ingredients:·         4 Idaho potatoes, peeled and shredded·         3 large eggs·         1 Spanish onion, diced·         1 cup vegetable oil·         4 tablespoons matzo meal·         1 teaspoon kosher salt·         1 teaspoon fresh pepper·         applesauce·         sour cream

source
Blogger Template by Clairvo