APPLE CIDER CHALLAH



This year I committed myself to bake my first-ever challah with my daughter.  I have so many fond memories of Mom making unusual breads; watching her carefully place the dough in our dark, hot, creepy furnace room- waiting for it to rise.  We loved checking to see whether the dough had doubled in size.
My biggest joy was watching my daughter peek into the bowl containing our dough ball, hearing her scream, “it grew, it grew.”  That was me, 30 years earlier in my furnace room shouting to my mother.
our dough has risen, our dough has risen!
After it had successfully risen twice, she carefully braided the dough, coated the outside with honey and oil, and popped it in the oven for the final baking process.
Ingredients:
  • 1 package dry yeast (check the date, make sure it hasn’t expired)
  • 1 cup warm apple cider or juice
  • 5 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 cup diced dry apples
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 large eggs plus 1 yolk
  • honey + 1 teaspoon canola oil for wash

source


Blogger Template by Clairvo